Saturday, March 22, 2008

A walk downtown

As my spirits were spiralling down dangerously, waiting trapped in my apartment for a colleague to get some keys back to me (that I had foolishly left in the staff room), I eventually set out in the afternoon in warm spring sunshine to explore the city.

I came back after several foot slogging hours, not really that impressed. Sorry, Jinan citizens! So far I find a grey, dirty, gritty city, that doesn't welcome a foreign visitor. I had hoped for much more. Cafes and restaurants seem to be subsumed by giant shopping buildings, and building with huge edifices, and little understanding can be made of the Chinese signs in front.

Although I teased James for eating Kentucky Fried Chicken recently, that is exactly what I found myself doing, in the absence of anything else obviously clean and inviting.

The only part of this excursion that was enjoyable was exploring a little of the "canal" (see photo) and a huge bookstore where I bought an English-Chinese dictionary for 1/10th the price I would have paid in Melbourne.

On dropping a parcel in a crowd, one person gruffly indicated my problem, but not one person bothered to assist me, although it was obvious I was having difficulties.

Here are some of the photos:
Boys going fishing.
Shoppers on a Saturday afternoon.


"At least I have my back to you!"
These old men playing a board game totally ignored me when I requested a photo.
I must explore this street - I think it has many restaurants in it. (Later - no, I was wrong).

No comments: