Friday, March 14, 2008

Second leg - Singapore to Beijing

As the flight was only a quarter full, this leg of my odyssey was so, so much better, and my spirits lifted accordingly. I could stretch out over three seats and snooze. I could walk around and stretch my legs. At one stage I had no less than six Singapore Airline hostesses attending me! What beautiful women they are! And superbly groomed – just like the advertisements. Singapore Airlines certainly redeemed itself with good food and great service.

Descending into Beijing, the light outside became rather strange. Winter sunshine struggling through smog yields a decidedly yellowish tinge. Why was the countryside so brown and bare? Of course! This is a country emerging from a severe northern hemisphere winter. We don’t see this Australia, where most vegetation is evergreen. (The next day I found near my apartment magnolia in bloom, and willow trees showing their first flush.)


No comments: