Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Food

With the “kitchen” in my flat not properly commissioned until it is thoroughly cleaned, I usually eat out. There are many restaurants and food stalls. Sadly, the food I have experienced in this city is not as good as the Chinese food I have experienced elsewhere (including Melbourne).

Most dishes are oily. Watching the amount of oil being added during the cooking process is a definite turn off. James agrees, saying his experience of the cuisine of southern China was superb compared to this. But I shall persist and look forward to discovering the ideal restaurant.

Smoking in restaurants is something hard to get used to – yet it only a matter of what, five years, since we legislated against such a practice in Australia?

If I don’t eat out, I call into a local corner store and attempt to break through incredible communication barriers (eg is this egg cooked or raw?} and take home sachets of yoghurt, Nescafe, UHT milk, small oranges, apples, nashi pears, bananas, biscuits – even ice-creams! I also purchased a nine pack of Chinese beer, which is palatable indeed! My only attempt at asking for something in Chinese – la cha (green tea) – resulted in stunned expressions, experiments with various tones, the enlistment of a passing student, much mime-acting, and no I didn’t want a bottle of liquid green tea, just the tea leaves, please! Cha! In the end, it turned out they had none in stock.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not the oil that's the actual problem. Wuhan food was totally soaked in oil. The problem is the overall poor choice of vegetables, dodgy handling of meat and blandness.