Sunday, March 23, 2008

Daming Lake in the centre of Jinan

A chilly Spring overcast Sunday, and James and I went exploring one of the "must see" attractions early in the morning - Daming Lake, which is in the centre of Jinan. It was a photographer's paradise.

Quite a few photos can be seen by clicking here, and I reckon some are quite good, even if I do say so myself!

Here's a sample of my work:


But this is a photo from the official Daming Lake website.

"With an impervious rock bottom, the lake keeps a constant level the whole year through. The lake is recorded as early as in The Annotated Book of Waters by Li Daoyuan who was active about 1,500 years ago. With a waterly picture and quite a number of historical cites in the urban landscape, it has always been a tourist attraction through the centuries. The banks are overgrown with flowers and trees, dotted by picturesque buidings. On the water are birds playing and feeding on fish swimming in the wake of pleasure boats. Half the city is filled by mountain tints, the other half by the lake."

I've never seen the "mountain tints", let alone the mountains, due to the smog.

1 comment:

elisabeth said...

Hi David,
Just checking out your blog and the photos. I particularly like the first in the series with the bare branches disappearing into the gilded calligraphy. Nice! I think perhaps in a big city such as Jinan the locals would be quite blase about foreigners so don't expect too much respect for your difference. Elisabeth