Monday, March 31, 2008

Waiting in vain for the heating fairy


There must be a little fairy somewhere, finger poised over the "On" button for the central heating. She must be otherwise engaged. Probably mucking about with an elf.

I know the central heating works (both in my apartment and in the classroom) as the fairy did her job reasonably well in the first week I was here. But not since!

And it does gets cold! The other day it was 3-10 degrees, colder in the basement classroom for the computer lab.

After some investigation, it seems that there is NO central heating after 23rd March, despite the temperature. And it's not just for my apartment, or for the university, but for the whole province!

I'm told the air conditioner in my apartment is reverse cycle, but I haven't yet deciphered the Chinese on the remote, and all my button pushing has only yielded cold air. Never mind, the weather is getting warmer day by day. (Just over a month ago, many parts of China were hit by severe snow storms.)

No comments: