Friday, March 14, 2008

Where was James?

I had feared that my colleague had missed our flight from Melbourne, but eventually caught up with him at the departure lounge at Singapore. It transpired that he had been arbitrarily selected for an upgrade to Business Class. Er ... right. While I was having claustrophobic panic attacks in the 2nd back row window seat? I felt a little less peeved when I learned that, despite his luxurious accommodation, he didn’t get any sleep. Here he is, back in economy class, studying Chinese.

James is proficient in Chinese, which is a good thing, as I know not one word. I have declared to him that I don’t intend to learn, which I think he finds somewhat odd, as our imminent immersion experience is a perfect opportunity to learn.

He has a Chinese wife and a three year old son waiting for him to return to Melbourne. He is consumed with regret about leaving them for so long, which is somewhat understandable. But as he is teaching his son Chinese (children are so adept at learning languages), indeed uses Chinese exclusively in his home, I think it is a very positive thing for him, to not only earn an income, but to improve his Chinese to better teach his son. Apparently his son is even starting to correct him ! Here is James’ website.

No comments: