Friday, March 14, 2008

Singapore - in transit

The last time I was at (what was then) Singapore International Airport, was about 30 years ago. At that time you could be refused entry to this Island State if your hair was too long! Or if you did not show civility to the immigration officials. It was hot, humid, dirty and incredibly busy.

My, how things have changed! (Apart from the paranoia about drugs). The splendid Changi Terminal is a pleasure to explore when in transit. I'd forgotten how many rich people there are in the world, just looking at all the boutique shops. It's 6am and all the shops opened promptly. I have found a cluster of free internet terminals and am pounding away on the keyboard while standing up.



I have just endured a 7 hour night flight from Melbourne. Never settle for a window seat for a night flight - you are at the mercy of the other two sitting (and sleeping) next to you. And I found to my horror that I had a dose of the trots! The person next to me refused to stand up, and I had to climb over him. A sleepless, rough flight, and the rear seats of a 777 are the not the best place in plane - there was definitely a side to side "wiggle" all the way, playing havoc with a delicate stomach! I got a case of diarrhoea induced claustrophobia in the darkened cabin, while getting cramps, imagining DVT as the seat was pressing into my thighs, and the guy in front lay his seat back.

We haven't come very far to eliminate cattle class.

Now, a three hour wait and then on to Beijing. I have secured an aisle seat in an access row. Whoo hoo!


I don't know where James (my Jinan colleague also from Melbourne) is.

No comments: