Sunday, May 4, 2008

What a difference a rain makes!

Storms and heavy rain washed away the "frog", and left everything sparkling and clean, with a rare blue sky. Today was my day to discover Beijing, and I think I did a pretty good job!

  • I successfully caught four underground trains

  • I travelled by four different buses

  • I walked for miles

  • I visited the Summer Palace, a delightful garden and countless pavilions (see slideshow of 32 photos)

  • I ventured into Tien'anmen Square (see slideshow of 14 photos)

  • I experienced for free (as it was closing time) a national Art gallery exhibition (see slideshow of 17 photos)

  • I finished the day by eating at a Japanese restaurant a filling buffet for $12, six delicious dishes.

  • I returned to my hotel for a long, relaxing bath.

It was wonderful! Beijing shines in the sun. People are generally considerate and helpful and have much better English than in Jinan. How different the weather, and lack of air pollution, makes for enjoyment!

The previous night I also took in the Chaoyang Theatre Acrobatics Macrocosm - which was great! Good photos at their web site : www.bjcyjc.com

(Tomorrow I return to Jinan).

No comments: